Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Perfect Name

You know how when you are expecting a child, you think long and hard about the name you are going to bestow upon your child. You look in the baby name books just to make sure your kids' name doesn't mean "demon son of...". Then one day your darling, who has been answering to the lovely name you picked out, suddenly after 4 years says, "My name is Tyrone!" or "My name is Jimmy Newtron, or Boots, or Timmy Turner and Daddy is Hugh Newtron and YOUR name is Sugar Booger!"

With a giant grin on their face, they expect you to remember to call them this name until the end of time or when they all of the sudden, with no warning or announcement to you, stop playing the game. My 4 year old is doing this currently. It's pretty funny. He's been Tyrone from the Backyardigans for 8 days now. The only time it's not so funny is when you are fussing at them about one thing or the other & they stop you dead in your tracks and say, "MY NAME IS NOT ----! IT'S TYRONE!!!"

Well, you have a choice at this time. You can choose to say, "excuse me?!" or you can laugh it off. Usually for me, the first response comes, then I laugh about it later. Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, I think my kid has a pretty good imagination. It could be much worse...he could be acting out those horrible Herbal Essence commercials. :-I

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, I tried to re-name myself after one of the Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I can't even remember which one anymore. I distinctly remember my mother not taking me seriously at all! She was so mean!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home