Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Finally, the Halloween Costume; Plus a few other projects!!

As promised, I finally have downloaded all my photos to Flickr! It took a while because it's been so blasted long since I've done anything worth taking pictures of. Geeze my life is boring...

So this first photo has all of the things you'll need to make a woodland sprite costume on the cheap. A longsleeve shirt from Wal-Mart (which can be used later as a regular shirt), fall foliage leaves, red glitter balls and glittered leaves, red and gold spray glitter, green pipe cleaners from Hobby Lobby and a pair of pliers from the tool box from under the sink!

p.i. 2

Don't forget the newspaper adds to protect your table surface. Use more paper than I did, the spray left a spot on my table. Good thing it was a K-Mart table and not Chippendale(sp)!

project items

Leaves and Bits and Bobs.

p.i. 3

glittery bits and bobs

Enough of the pretties, let's get down to brass tacks. Take all of the leaves off of the branches. They come off rather easily.

leaves

Owen was quite interested in the project, so much so that he didn't "mess" with any of the items on the table. He was really pleased that momma was "making" him a costume for Halloween. :-)

Owen looking

After you take all of the leaves off of the stems, spray them with the glitter paint. Oh, the glitter, I just LOVE glitter!!!!!

leaves with glitter

This is what your hands look like after making sure that the leaves look "just right". Well, at least this is what "my" hands looked like after this part of the project.

glittery hands
Feel free to ask questions about the size discreptancy in my hands. I'd rather you ask than speculate. :-)

Here I am, the scary glittery hand monster. Or am I a frustrated mom? The former. I really enjoyed this part of mommyhood.

The Glitter Hand Monster

Close up of the leaves.

leaves close up

I used artificial foliage to make Owen's head dress. I took the pliers and cut the leaves from the thick part of the stems and separated them as needed. Then I took two pipe cleaners and measured Owen's head, then twisted the ends to make circle. Then I took more pipe cleaners and attached the leaves to the circle with the pipe cleaners. I must be a real momma now that I can make a head dress out of fake leaves and pipe cleaners. :-)

leaf head dress

Did I mention that I love sparkly things? Here you can see why.
Close up of head dress

Here is the finished head dress.

Finished head dress

I took the dried leaves and lightly tacked them onto Owen's shirt with a little thread. They stayed on pretty well, he only lost 3 leaves and I found two of them. Not too bad. :-)

Owen's shirt

Here is the finshed product with the shirt.

shirt finished

Owen finally gets to wear his costume!! He makes an adorable sprite, doesn't he.

My Little Woodland Sprite

They took pictures of the kids at Owen's school, so I got one of him and one of his class.

Woodland Sprite

Owen's Class

Here is the boy playing a game.

Playing Games

After he got his "prize."

Happy Boy!
Such a happy boy!

Getting a tattoo.

Getting a tattoo

This is Owen's friend Zoe twirling in her Tinkerbell costume. So cute.

Tinker Bell Twirling

Owen really enjoyed himself for this Halloween season. We had his "Fall Festival" on Thursday and then on Saturday, we went to a friends house. This really should be another post, but I'm just going to put it all into this one.

I had this friend from middle school that I used to hang with all the way through to college. We hadn't seen each other since just before Dave & I got married. I was on classmates.com one day and came across her name and decided to send her an e-mail. I didn't expect to hear from her because it had been so long and I thought that maybe she had forgotten who I was.

Six months or thereabouts later, I get an e-mail from her saying that she remembered me. Too awesome!! So Saturday night after several e-mails back and forth we finally get to see each other again. She looked exactly the same, cute and bubbly!!! She has been married for ten years and has two beautiful daughters! They have this party every year celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas, I call it "HallowThankMas!"

Anyway, I made a cake for them because it was also their anniversary. It was not just any cake, but a "Checkerboard" cake. My mil bought me this checkerboard cake mold a few years ago for Christmas and I've been to nervous to use it for fear that the cake wouldn't turn out right.

Well, I pulled it out and used it. This is how the layers looked. Keep in mind that the cake was totally made from scratch, no boxed mixes for this "Domestic Goddess"!!!

Making a Cake

Top Layer:

got all the layers
Note the alternating layer flavours: bottom:chocolate, middle:vanilla, top:chocolate...

Then came the icing. I swear, I had powdered sugar all over me and some on Owen! This was a true butter cream icing with butter and cream, not just shortening and milk or water.

nice white icing foundation

Mary(my friend) has told me that she and the hubby like purple, so I put purple sotas (squiggles) on the top of the cake and to set off the colour I piped in green leaves around the inside edge of the shell border. Who would have thought that I was so talented. I'm not that good, but I do have a great set of frosting tips! <--- bugger won't let me change font colours!!

Purple sotas

The finished product!! As Tina would say, "F*ckin' Deelish!"

Finished product

I also made another dessert called a Four Layer Delight. Well, that's the church name. It is also known as the "Better Than Sex" cake! It almost is!!!
It's got a graham cracker crust that I add cinnamon and cloves to, a cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar mixture, chocolate pudding and then on the top more whipped topping and then decorated with double chocolate and caramel syrup. That is truly absolutely deelish! OMG it's good!!! Here's a pic.


Four Layer Delight
Dave did a great job putting this one together so I could take a shower and get ready for the party.

We stayed until 11pm. Owen was knackered and Dave & I were too. The next morning I had to be at church ready to sing at 7:30am. It was Reformation Sunday & so I was there all day, well, until noon. When I got out I went to pick up Dave, Owen & Linda. Linda treated us to a seafood lunch at the Baytown Seafood. It was so good!!!

When we got home our neighbor, not the crazy one, was having abirthday party, so we went over to join the celebration. We had a blast! Owen was knackered yet again when we got home. It was a super busy weekend, but we had fun.

9 Comments:

Blogger pissoff said...

You talented little wench. Nice job on costume and cake. You're very clever.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Sniffy said...

Fuckin' ACES for evertything!!!! That is such a display of top-notch talents you have there (and a scary growl too!).

He looked absolutely brilliant.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: you ARE the mom!

I haven't seen such cake decorating skills since my mom, and that should mean something. She too made everything from scratch.

I am a pie person sadly.

Love the costume, maybe I can convince my kids to let me make them something next time round?

You go grrrrrrrrrrrllllllllll!

11:32 AM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks for the "kuddos"! I must say that I really did enjoy myself on these projects. This was the first cake that I have made completely from scratch since i was a young girl. It was REALLY dense, like a wedding cake. I think I'll go back to Betty Krocker or Duncan Heinze cake mixes. They are easy and just as good and not quite so dense. Although, I must admitt that this cake stayed in one piece better than the mix cakes do.

Hey Ivy~
If you want some of that last dessert, invite me to a party and I'll bring it. ;-)

The rest of yous guys will just have to come down to the big H-Town and we'll have to party down here and have dessert and rag on the crazy neighbor!! Ha!

2:41 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Wow you are very creative! :)

3:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

I try, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

I've got a cross stitch pattern that I've been working on for almost 3 years. I'm going to try to finish it before the end of the year.

It was a wedding prezzie for my son's God Brother. They've been married two years and have a child on the way.

I'm really feeling the pressure to get it done!! I think I'll work on it tonight.

Maybe I'll take a picture of it before it's finished and after. I've got oodles of projects planned after this one.

3:17 PM  
Blogger garfer said...

You should have borrowed the Freakin Green Elf Shorts from April. They would have finished off that costume nicely.
That looks like a mighty fine cake maam.

3:24 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thank ye kindly, Sir!! The Elf Shorts would have made a fine addition to that costume. Owen would have been only too happy to sport them!

3:39 PM  
Blogger M said...

Just testing

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home