Monday, April 25, 2005

Harry Potter & the "So-Called" Religious Right

If you ask most of the people who are violently against Harry Potter, I'm willing to bet real money that they have either only read one book or haven't read any of them at all. This drives me CRAZY! How can you have such a strong opinion on something you know nothing about.

It's ignorance & paranoia, they think they know something about the subject because of what they have heard on the radio or seen on a news program on television. Come on people, have some dignity, don't be lazy and let others think for you. Get out there and do your own homework. Above all, don't believe everything you hear on the news! They are paid to "sell" the news. Get people watching "OUR" channels boys!

I am a conservative Christian. Hopefully, when you read that statement, you didn't automatically tune out.

When I was pregnant with my child five years ago, I bought all the Harry Potter books, knowing full well that my child would someday read these books. I wanted to know what was in them, so I'd know what my kid was into. Hello. Responsible parenting???? Anyway, that's when I became a fan. J.K. Rowling did not offend my Christian sensibilities. Frankly, the books are more about Harry's emotions and travels through his life, than the magic. In fact, I would venture to say that the magic aspect of the books are secondary to the relationships and history of this young boy.

The point, basically, is to think for yourself. It's going to take more energy and effort on your part, but I really think you'll be more informed and much happier with life in general, when you have looked at all the sides and have formed a well balanced opinion for yourself. This way, when someone asks your opinion on something, you can feel confident in your convictions and say with most certainty, what you think. Perhaps you'll be able to sway the minds of others in a positive manner.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO with you on this. I love HP and as you know Jeff and I are FAR more conservative than most folks you know. (Or maybe you didn't know that, but our church takes the FUN out of fundamentalist, as it were.)

I don't care if people want to keep their children away from HP for fear of endorsing "sorcery." I don't agree with them, but that's their right. It's when they start looking down their nose at ME, preaching from the pulpit, etc., about an issue that is really "eating of meat" stuff, that I get peeved.

I can tell fantasy from reality, thank you very much! [g] And so can my child. He knows there's no such thing as "magic" the way Harry Potter does it. Just as there's no such thing as lightsabers or hyperspace travel or dragons. But these are all fun fantasies to dream about. I see no harm in it.

Love ya!

2:47 PM  
Blogger M said...

Right on, Sister!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home