Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Inappropriate Dinner Conversation

So, when I was growing up we used to have dinner at the table, like all good families do, and conversation would flow like the Colorado River searching its way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Most of the time the topic of conversation was totally right and pleasing to all present. Sometimes however, the oratorical subjects left much to be desired and would have been better suited for the men's restroom at a local strip club. Not proud of it especially seeing as the majority of occupants at the dinner table were GIRLS!

I do remember Mom protesting the subjects and of course we girls would take it from the rude to the grotesque. Mom would state that she was getting sick to her stomach, then Daddy would pipe up and tell her, "Pass your plate over here, Goody." and wink at us girls.

Always this was done in the privacy of our own home, NEVER in public. If we had guests, the topics were always "G" rated. These days if the conversation starts to get too personal, gross or inappropriate, I speak up and verbally "pull in the reigns" and get the topic back to a loftier subject. (In my family, I am known as THE PRUDE.)

Well, the other night the family (hubby, boy & myself) went to our favourite Chinese buffet place, Silver Palace, for dinner. There was a family of teenagers and a mom sitting just behind us. The way we were seated at our table, the boy was closest to the other table.

At first, their topics of conversation were fine, but louder than need be for the space allotted, thus being the reason we could hear them. Then all of the sudden, the younger daughter started talking about telling everyone that she was a lesbian. She was teasing, because she kept laughing about it. She was doing this for shock value as most teens will do. But then the conversation topic switched from that to sex-change operations and the volume increased. She stated, "I want to go in to the doctors office and tell 'em, I want a PENIS!" Then her mom said that they couldn't do that surgically, and she got even louder and asked, "Why Not? What about the girls who want to be boys and want to have a PENIS??!"

The whole time I was sitting there thinking, "Oh God, PLEASE don't let any of this penetrate Owen's ears." I don't want to have THAT conversation with him about this yet. He's only 5 1/2 years old. He doesn't need to hear about that stuff at his tender age. I was rather suprised that the mother didn't protest and tell her daughter to lower her voice.

I don't care what other people talk about, but let's try to keep it at your own table please and not so loud that the people who are 100 feet away can hear you. Some decorum here, please folks!

Even David was giving me looks of, "These people need to take that topic to da house!" I almost asked them to quiet down, because I didn't want to have to explain what they were talking about when my son started asking questions. But I decided that the better course of action would be to hurry up and eat our dinner so we could exit the scene, post haste! Which we did, of course.

Luckily, nothing registered with the boy and no questions have been asked or had to be explained. Whew! We really did luck out on that one.

10 Comments:

Blogger garfer said...

I wouldn't have that he'd be that worried, having a penis and all.

4:46 PM  
Blogger M said...

Well, you are probably right. I've seen alot in my younger days because of my sister, so I knew many things that even most adults don't know about. I'd like for the boy to keep his innocence as long as possible. :-)

9:14 PM  
Blogger darl said...

Yeesh. Hate that. That's one thing I loved about Europe. I could sit quietly and eat, and it's not that people weren't conversing--I just didn't have to listen to their conversation.

7:58 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yep. :-)


It's my understanding that Americans are much louder than Europeans, well than the rest of the world.

Dave & I would love to go to Europe. I think that we would fit in rather well there.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Rowan said...

even when they do ask at that age...they don't need to know all the details, they are usually happily satisfied to learn that mommies don't have them, but boys do...the end.

1:39 PM  
Blogger M said...

Yes ma'am, I do believe that you are right. Very wise, Ro.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being european and all, i do have to admit i find americans loud and offensive at times, but in my 9 years here i have become immune to it, and i kind of find it funny now.

Having 6 kids, i beleive that kids do better with boundaries, both social and physical. I am not one of these 'hippy free' parents i guess.

9:48 PM  
Blogger M said...

Hello Eloelae! Welcome to Dreamer's Reality! I'm so glad you dropped by.

I also believe that children are happiest with boundries and expectations clearly set before them for goals (academic) and behavior. That way they know what to do and how to react in all situations.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for introducing me to your blog.

Nice to have deeper intent blogs :)

12:38 AM  
Blogger M said...

Thank you, Sir!

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home