Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Memory...

Ah, let's see... I think it was Sunday night, could have been Saturday night but that's not the point, the hubby and I sat down to watch a movie. We used to do this every Friday and Saturday night until we got cable and started playing d&d. Now it's a rarity that we sit together and watch a movie at home.

The movie I chose was The Notebook with Ryan Gossling and Rachel McAdams. It's a beautiful love story that reminds me a lot of my grandparents love story. Towards the end of the movie it gets truly heart-wrenching yet remains resplendent in the expresion of their love for one another.

I had seen this movie with a pack of Ladies from church. We didn't all get to sit together, but that was ok. By the middle of the movie, the lady that I was sitting by and I were sniffing quite profusely and were trying to control the tears. As the film went on, I was crying pretty hard and I was trying to control myself so as to not let my crying turn into an "ugly cry" with hiccups, blocked nostrils and a swollen nose. Also, I was really trying hard not to disturb the people sitting around us. When the movie was over we found our other friends and they giggled at me for crying (because I was still crying pretty hard). I went into the bathroom to "pull myself together" and there was a whole large bathroom full of females crying, from young teenagers to older women. We were all boo-hooing from seeing The Notebook. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Well, I had purchased the dvd a few months ago and hadn't watched it yet knowing its effect on me, but I wanted to watch it with Dave, thinking that he would enjoy it. He did enjoy the movie. We actually sat on the same couch to watch it and I blubbered through it again. I had another really ugly cry. So bad that I actually had to take some Tylenol Sinus so I could breathe through my nose. Ice takes down the swelling of tearful eyes quite nicely too. It shows how much the hubby loves me, by the way he didn't tease me.

He remembers what it was like when my Grandmother was sick with Alzheimer's and how she didn't recognise me when we came to visit her. She had gotten gangrine in her left leg and the doctors amputated it at the knee. Her memory was gone, long and short term. She could no longer feed herself. The nurse asked me if I would like to feed her and I did. I was trying not to cry in front of her, so I wouldn't upset her. The tears just flowed like a brook heading downstream to the river. She would tell me, "Don't cry Honey.", "You're such a pretty girl, who are you again?", "I'm Aleida's daughter, Grandma. I'm Michelle, Aleida's youngest daughter." "Oh, okay." She said. Then she would ask me again who I was. We had lunch with Grandpa and it was a good visit with him.

I was 21 then. The next time I saw her was a year later at her funeral. I sang Amazing Grace and Rock of Ages, they were her favourites. I almost got through Amazing Grace, but I looked at my Grandfather and thought, "He's gonna be alone." Again the tears flowed, but I got through the song. The next time I saw him after that was a year later at his funeral. I sang for that one too. I sang The Lord's Paryer and Precious Lord, Take My Hand, they were both songs that he had performed on many occaissions.

When Dave and I were dating, we would talk about how we never wanted to be apart and how if we died, we wanted to die together at the same time. We still feel that way, although these days it wouldn't be very practical with Owie. I wouldn't want to leave him alone as a child. If God is willing, we will grow old together and pass away peacefully in each others arms, after Owen has a family of his own and has those who love him to help him through that hard time.

I'm so blessed to have my son, because when he laughs I can hear my mother's father issuing forth from his lips. When I look at him, I can see my father in his face, so my loved ones who have gone to Glory are still with me here on earth and I can still remember them and love them, eventhough they are not here with me in the present.
*Dad is still living, I just don't get to see him as much as I would like to.* I look forward to the day that I can be reunited with my family in Heaven. I will be sorry to leave my loved ones here on Earth, but I know that I will be going to my eternal home and I will save a place for all of those I love and have loved.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

Oh I hadn't realized that this was more than a bubble gum type movie. I so want to see it now...I love rachel McAdams...isn't she such a natural beauty?

11:43 AM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Mhn- I read the Notebook about 9 years ago...It moved me so much that I let my boyfriend (then) read it. Then I forgot all about it, years later I rented the movie and sat down with my husband to watch it. Ten minutes into the movie he begins telling me what is going to take place. "Have you already seen this movie?" I ask and he replied "No baby this is that book that you let me borrow, while we were dating". OMG the movie floored me and he and I both cried.
Lovely story that touches you heart and rocks your soul. It is nice to watch and share with that significant other.

Sorry for the long post.

2:24 PM  
Blogger M said...

It's a good one. Watch it with Mark. Get the tissues ready.


Bring the long posts on. I love hearing about others experiences. David really felt like the ending was a happy one. It gets me so emotional because the story is so much like my grandparents and the love affair was so much like mine and David's. I am in search of the book so I can read it. Another book in the long list of books that I want to read.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home