Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Austin Texas is Where We Went!!!

We were off to see the wizard, but ended up at our favourite Texas haunt!! Austin! It doesn't hurt that our good mate Dave T. lives there!!!
Captain Dave!

So Friday night we get into town & the Neumann's are starving! We head down to 6th Street (Party District!) and have dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse, mmmm, tasty! We walked around all night and took in the sights. Unfortunately, I left my camera in our car and DaveT. was driving us so no pics of that night, but I did go back and take some pics of it during the daytime.
6th Street

River City Tattoo
This is where we met some young ladies who were in town for their first big weekend at college. One was trying to decide if she should get a tattoo, but was afraid of the folks. Her friend showed blatant disrespect for her own parents, and told her friend to"fuck your parents & get it anyway!" Y'all would have been proud. I held my tongue eventhough my head was SCREAMING:"BLATANT DISRESPECT FOR PARENTAL AUTHORITY!!!!" over and over in my head. I just smiled and nodded while "My Mate Dave" was fuming. You could almost see the steam coming out of his ears!! It was funny because the rude girl started ragging on some Christians who were passing out tracks down on the street and she was making fun of them. Right after, the other girl asked me if I was going to get a tattoo. I told her not tonight, but soon, the rude girl asked "Oh? What are you going to get?" I told her. "A Butterfly, for my Faith." Her face dropped to the floor and she had to pick it up. It was priceless.

Later in the shop, after I looked at the butterfly designs, a lady was getting a tatt so I asked her if I could watch. It was really cool, the process. I got to ask questions of the artist and the customer. Now I really feel more informed about the whole process. I've even picked out which design I want. I'll be going to River City Tattoos, in Austin, TX. to get my first tattoo. This of course implies that there will be another after the first...

On Saturday Dave took us with him to look at some houses. He's a Keller Williams Real Estate Agent. We checked our Morrison Homes and some others. Morrison was the best by far and away! The Perdinales floor plan was our favourite! I have found my dream home! Later while we were leaving, he (my mate Dave) got a call from a young couple who were looking for a house and wanted to meet him at a particular house, so we went with. That was the house where I saw the giant horned moth.
Horned Moth
The house was really nice and had a great vibe! I hope those kids get it. I think it would suit them well.

Dave T. was wheelin' and dealin' all weekend. It was really great to see that he's doing so well with his business. David & I were discussing the fact that we wished that our real estate agent would have spent that much time with us. We'd have gotten a MUCH better house. Oh well.

Later that evening, around 5pm we headed out to Lake Travis.
Lake Travis, Austin, TX.
This lake is 60 miles long. I knew it was big, but I had no idea! We had a blast!!!

Here are some pics...

Thoresen's boat
Dave's boat at the ramp.

Putting the boat in the water 2
Put 'er in the water! btw: my Dave fell in just before that. I couldn't help but laugh. Mean wifey.....

Lake House
Here's a house on the lake hillside. Not one of the bigger ones either...

Sail Boats
Lots of sailboats out today!

Really nice boat
This was a really nice boat. Lots of pretty wood and paint.

My Dave!
That's one happy, satisfied man! Just look at that smile!!

Boat that almost ran us over
Notice how close this boat is in relationship to my David. The wife is all wavy, wavy and meanwhile her husband is about to run right on over the top of our boat. I told Dave T., "He's not gonna move. He's about to hit us! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!" It was too close for me. I almost made a puddle!!

Sail boat 3
Here's another lovely sail boat.

And Our Mate Dave!!!
My Mate Dave!

Here's my man. Gonna try to ski.
David gonna ski
Herewego.

Little grainy.
In the water

That was pretty much it for the lake. Dave never got up totally, but then it was only the third time he'd ever been on skis. I wanted to take some pics of Hippy Hollow, but it was too dark. Perhaps next time... maybe by that time the the Oasis will be back in the full swing of things!! Great place to go if you are ever in the Austin area. :-)

Sunday we went to lunch at Threadgill's.
Threadgill's outside

Inside Threadgill's
Threadgill's is a must for me when we go to Austin.
Their Fried Green Tomatoes are to die for! mmmmmmmmm!
Fried Green Tomatoes!! Before
before...
Fried Green Tomatoes!! After
about 5 minutes after with all three of us chowin' down!! The sauce there is a Chipotle Ranch. Very nice!!

Here is a typical southern meal. Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy, FF, and my fav...Broccoli Rice Casserole! Deelish!!!
Typical Southern Dinner
Thoresen (Our mate Dave) had CFS like mine, but with mashed potatoes and Steamed Broccoli. He's trying to watch the cholesterol. :-)

Dave had Turkey and Dressin' (not dress"ing") with Buttered Beans, San Antonio Squash! He liked it. :-p
Another typical southern dinner

House wine of the South....
House Wine o' the South
Sweet, iced Tea!!!! nothing better in the whole world!

This is a picture of our Capital Building taken on Congress Ave. It is either 7 or 11 feet taller than our nations capital. There is a statue of a woman holding up a Lone Star on the top of the dome. This is what makes our building taller. You know, everything is bigger in TEXAS!!
Capital Viewed From Congress Ave. Austin, TX.

Here's a closer, but crooked picture. You can almost see the 6 flags of the nations that once ruled over our great land. If we wanted to, we could secede and become our own country. I don't think it's a good idea, but the option is there...
Capital Building of Texas

That was pretty much it for this trip to Austin. We went to pick up the boy at Shannon's and had a nice visit and dinner with them.

This was what greeted me when I got home...
First Bloom
The first bloom from my new climbing rose bush. So pretty...

17 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

Gotta love the TALL glass of Sweet Tea! My FAVORITE!!! LOL...

Looks like you all had a great time. I notice you posted no pictures of yourself on this awesome trip!!!

How did the Boy do?

Glad you got to relax and act like you were child free again!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks!

There were some pics of me, but I didn't like them. Ah, the power of self censorship!!! hehe...
We did have a great time. No drinking, just having fun. Actually, I prefer to have my fun sober, that way if I get into trouble I'll be coherent enough to talk my way out of trouble.

Owen did so well, that he wanted to live with Aunt Shannon. That just about broke my heart, but at least he was somewhere he was happy.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

beautiful, simply beautiful...I am thinking more and more of going to the states, if for no other reason than to say I've been.

10:28 AM  
Blogger M said...

Well, if you come, be sure to visit the Big State of TEXAS!! :-D The "Hill Country" is where Austin is located. It is truly beautiful. San Antonio is also worth the trip, Houston too. Let me know if you do get all the way down here. We could meet.

12:24 PM  
Blogger garfer said...

Nice pics. Liked the one of scooter boy getting soused.
I don't really associate Texas with lakes. Looks lovely.

3:59 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks!! Could you tell that Dave was a little panicky? We have some nice Lakes here in the Lone Star State. Our rivers are nice too. My favourites go through Kerrville, TX. where my grandparents lived. They are the Frio and the Guadalupe Rivers.
They really are beautiful & cold!!

5:32 PM  
Blogger P-Ratt said...

Come and drive through Texas during March and April. Most of our spring flowers bloom then. The road sides are covered with Bluebonnets.

12:59 AM  
Blogger P-Ratt said...

As for the girls, maybe you could have politely asked, "And who paid your tuition this month?"

1:01 AM  
Blogger M said...

The one who was polite and worried about what her parents thought was the one whose parents were paying her tuition.

The rude girl was paying her own way. She was quite vocal about the fact that "she's paying her own way & can do whatever the f*** she wanted." Of course the underlying current of emotion there is anger. She was really angry at her parents for not paying her way through school. You could tell by the way she talked. sad really.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

You forgot to mention how good those tomatoes are with honey instead of ranch sauce.

8:31 AM  
Blogger M said...

Well since I don't like honey, I didn't mention it, but you just did. :-)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sniffy said...

I certainly liked the photographs of your meal out - yep, could've eaten the LOT!

What a fantastic place, beautiful. That gobby cow near the tattoo parlour needs a kick up the bum with an open-toed sandal. Little bitch. (why does a butterfly symbolise your faith?).

It looks like you had a great time, thanks for the run-down and the pics. I'm not sure I'll be able to rival Austin with my photos of Norfolk, but I'll see what I can do.

Cheers Michelle. (I love the idea of being in control of which photos go up too!)

4:23 PM  
Blogger M said...

Oh yeah, lunch at Threadgill's was really good. mmm. We really did have a great time. I look forward to seeing your pictures from your trip. :-)

The butterfly: This is the way I look at it. Before I had Christ in my life I was like a caterpillar trapped in a cocoon, all brown and ugly and closed off from life.

When I accepted Christ in my heart as my personal saviour and friend, I turned into this beautiful butterfly, flying free in the blue expanse of the sky. I went through a metomorphosis from the person I was to the person I was meant to be.

As you know, I don't always succeed, but everyday is fresh and new with the rising of the sun. Grace is a wonderful thing to me. There is a mystery to it, like the wind. I can see the effects of the wind, but I can't see the wind, but I can feel it's presense.

I truly feel free to love, be loved, accept and be accepted and to live to the best of my abilities.

Anyway that's my thought on the butterfly. Thanks for asking. :-)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Peevish McSnark said...

Love Austin! I just spent a couple of days there last month on an educational conference. I can really get behind a city whose motto is "Keep Austin Weird!"

6:29 AM  
Blogger M said...

Hey BD! Thanks for the visit!! Yep, Austin can definately be classified as wierd. We love it!!

3:56 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Yummy I am craving fried green tomatoes now!

Glad u had fun! :) miss ya 2

7:01 PM  
Blogger M said...

me too. everytime I scroll down to reply, I'm like mmmm, fried green tomatooooes.....

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home