Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Heeeelllloooo Bloggerland!

Ok. So I have been asked by a few folks how the hubby and I met. Well, the answer is, we didn't. I was a mail order bride.


Just kidding!!!

In August 1989, I was starting my third year at a Jr. College taking as many courses as they would let me on a choir scholarship. It was as close to free as I could get. What did I care??? I'd changed my major from English to Psychology to finally Sociology. I actually have an Associates Degree in Sociology, what good it does, but I digress.

The previous year I was totally enamored of my friend Victor and a little bit of my friend Ron who had the makings of a concert Pianist.

Victor, I just loved to death. He and I were REALLY good friends. I wanted more, but I was the fat chick, so I didn't push it.

Ron was my drinking buddy and cruisin' pal. He lived two blocks from my house. I was 19-20 he was 25-26, can you say old enough to buy the booze! That was never really an issue in those days because my sisters would buy for me if I asked. So would others, just hand over the money and you're good to go! I spent a lot of time with Ron. ALOT of time with him. Anyhoo.

Since I've always been a "curvier girl" since puberty, the way I'd get a guy to like me is to become friends with them. We'd hang out, have fun, but I wouldn't push anything other than maybe a dance or two. Been doing that since high school, about Jr. year. Ah, Kevin Huron... anyway...

We are back in college now...
M-W-F during 12-1pm was Choir. Choir and Band had to share the same room so on T-Th Band had it during the Choir time and Choir had to go to another area of the Fine Arts Building.

The second day of school, I see Dave sitting out in the hall at the Band/Choir Hall. I'm cruisin' through the F.A.B with Victor and notice this hugely tall blonde haired blue eyed guy sitting on the floor in the tiny hall in front of the choir hall. I looked down at him and asked, "Are you waiting for sectionals?" He said, "yes." I said, "Follow me." I dropped him off at the right place and followed Victor out of the F.A.B. and we went to lunch at the student union building.

Blissfully unaware that Victor was gay, although I should have known. I didn't really notice Dave until 2 or 3 weeks later. He was like a cat. All distant and aloof, quietly watching everything, taking it all in like a sponge. I on the other hand was and still am to some degree, loud and brash, the center of all the attention, er...UNIVERSE! hehehe. You get the point...

Anyway, I had noticed this beautiful boy and chose to ask some of the girls that knew him about him. They all said the same thing, "Dave? Aw, He's a nice guy, really a nice guy." And he was and is a nice man to this day.

Now by the time I had noticed Dave, I'd notice about 3 other guys as well. Always keeping the options open. They were all in choir and one of them I carpooled to school with him and his sister. I loved Alan and Karlin! Great people! Well, people started to couple up and my friend Heidi liked Alan and he seemed to like her as well, so I zeroed in on Dave. Like a laser beam I was.

By the middle of September, I was inviting Dave to have lunch with the group that I hung with. He knew some of the people from his hometown so it was comfortable for him. Most of the time he sat there reading the newspaper while the rest of us chatted. Sometimes he would join in the conversation, but mostly he was quiet.

In October, there was the Texas Junior College State Choir Festival. I auditioned and made the choir. I roomed with 2 other girls, one of which knew David really well. I asked her about Dave and she thought that he wasn't interested. Hmmm, we'll see.

Later that month there was a dance at school. We had dances once a month. It was Halloween. I asked Dave if he was going. He said he didn't know. I told him that a bunch of the choir people were going and we could meet there if he would like to. The dances were always on a Thursday because we were a commuting college, very few students lived on campus. He said he'd have to ask his folks, but ok. Whew! I'm in, what now???

The night of the dance I was so nervous! I went to my friend Melinda's apartment, who was gearing up for a big date herself. ;-) I talked to her a little while, almost backed out of going to the dance, but Mel kicked me out of her place because her future husband was going to be there any minute. She handed me a beer and strange for me(I generally don't like beer), I took it to bolster my courage. I was on my way.

I dressed for the occasion. I was a "Lounge Singer" for Halloween. I had this really nice dress on, the whole schmere. I found my friend Heidi and she told me that Dave was looking for me. Here come the butterflies! She and I ducked into the bathroom to check the hair and make-up, make sure that the "girls" were standing at attention and looked good and to buy myself a little more time. Lookin' good, proceed. God I was nervous!!! First REAL date, ever!

So anyway, I find Dave and we talk a little. I ask him, what is your costume? He's dressed in a button down shirt with jeans, ROTC shoes, and a rust coloured sweater that had leather on the vest and a little blue button that said, "Save Gas! Fart in a money box." He told me that he was an ecologist.

We danced a few dances, couple fast, couple slow (Richard Marx, "Right Here Waiting" and Restless Heart "The Bluest Eyes in Texas"). I was so nervous that I couldn't stop my lip from quivering, but I was grinning like any idiot. Dave was smiling too, so I wasn't the only one.

I danced with others that night too. My usual dance partners asked Dave if they could steal me away and since he wasn't much on dancing, he agreed. Kept me happy. I was on the floor the whole night. One pooser actually thought he could try and cop a feel because my dress was off the shoulder a bit. I kneed him in the "happy place". I went back to dancing with Dave.

My male friends were curious about Dave because they didn't know him and I was dancing with this guy alot. So they all surrounded him and made me introduce him. We left the dance when it was over and he went home and I drove home as well. That was our first date. We had one date a month until February 1990. In March he asked me to marry him. Now THAT'S another story. In December of 1990 we were married. Been together ever since.

13 Comments:

Blogger garfer said...

A swift knee in the 'happy place' generally does the trick. Not that I'd know, of course.

3:54 PM  
Blogger M said...

It does indeed. This guy was areall creep. A boyfriend of an acquaintance. Even the thought of him makes me repulsed! eck.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

And that's how the magic began.

So, the marriage proposal...??

4:15 PM  
Blogger Sniffy said...

Nice one Michelle, now THAT'S a great story.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Awwwww what a story!!! Glad to know it now. I give it 2 thumbs way up!

4:51 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks guys!
I sometimes wonder if I should publish my writing. Do you feel like you are "in" the story?

Anyhoo.

Herge~
The marraige proposal was very special. I'd have to get Dave's permission for that one... I'll work on him... That will be another longish post.

5:45 PM  
Blogger pissoff said...

C'mon...give us more, give us more. You can't leave us hanging like this.

10:54 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Awe so very sweet! Your Dave sounds like a quiet,gentle, sweet soul..like my Paul! We are soooo blessed!

Tell me more, Tell me more!!!!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Fairbanks said...

how sweet! I love your story. I felt in the moment!

7:56 AM  
Blogger M said...

Cool! Thanks guys for your interest and kindness.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Sounds like you had an old fashioned romance *sigh*

9:10 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yep, it was. Can't help but smile when i think of it. :-)

10:22 AM  
Blogger M said...

David is pretty adamant about not sharing that particular moment on the web. If you are truly intersted, e-mail me.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home