Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Haunting...

This is the true tale of what a 10 year old girl saw and her seventeen year old sister heard.

My mother's house was built in 1910 on the site where the previous house that was there had caught fire. The owner of that house was a city official. He was a very big man, both height and girth. He had a wife and a servant. The wife was beautiful and tall, kind of willowy with long thick wavy blonde hair that hung down past her shoulders. His servant was very tall with grey hair, slicked back and wore a three piece morning suit. His quarters were in the front bedroom and there was a separate door leading to the front porch.

This house had two bedrooms and one bathroom. It was a little more than 2000 square feet and had a carriage house with the property that were later turned into garage apartments. The builders used salvaged wood from the previous house in the construction of the house that is still there today. We called it "The Third Street House", because it was located on Third street. Our other house was the "Nichols House". It was located on Nichols street, very Anne Rice of us. Who would have thought that it would have turned out like one of her stories...


My mother bought this house from a friend of hers for rental property. Also, she and Dad had separated, so she needed a place to live. Nine to eleven months later mom and dad reconciled and we all moved into the Third Street House. My sister Kathey, Dad, Mom and I all lived in this house.

It still had the original wallpaper on the walls and ceiling. After 60 some years and more than several renters you can imagine that the wall paper was in pretty bad shape. The house was sturdy and sound. It had survived several hurricanes and many storms and lots of history.

The rooms were few but very big. The windows were 6 feet high from were they started, about a foot from the floor. There were large windows, four in everyroom except the bathroom, kitchen and dining room. The ceilings were ten feet tall and there was a ceiling fan in every room. There was no central air and heating, just window air conditioners and gas space heaters. It was a drafty old house.

You couldn't really get totally warm in the house back then, no insulation. The wall paper was really thin and hanging off the wall in some places where the old paste had ceased to hold it to the wall. If you held your head just right, you could see the outside through the wall of the house, particularly in the front bedroom. During the winter you could see the wall paper move back and forth as if the walls were breathing. This front bedroom was Kathey's and my bedroom.


We had lived in the house for about a year or more when the next door neighbor was being moved to a retirement home in town and her kids wanted to sell the house. They told us that if we wanted something from the yard, that we were welcome to it. Mom saw a statue of a huntsman that she fancied, so she brought it into the house.

The statue was made of concrete and was 12 inches high. The huntsman had his hands at his side with a bag at his feet and an axe in his left hand. He wore an old fashioned looking cloak with a hood gathered behind his head. It's place was up against the door frame in the bathroom that led into the hall that led to my room, the old butler's quarters.


So mom had the statue in the bathroom for a week or two, everything was going as usual when one morning I walked into the bathroom and noticed that the huntsman was not up against the door frame. I didn't think anything about it and moved it back. That went on for a few weeks off and on. I would come into the bathroom for my morning rituals and have to move the thing back in it's place.

Meanwhile, I started to be scared in the house. I had to have the lights on in the rooms and hall before I entered them. Kathey thought she was hearing things, footsteps heavy and low. Those occurrences were happening more often and had been going on for a few months. We just thought that our imaginations were working overtime and went on with our lives as usual.

The statue kept having to be moved back to it's spot, but now it wasn't just an inch ot two away from the wall, it was a foot or so away every morning. The noises were getting more pronounced as well. One night I saw a very large gentleman standing in the hall. He was tall and rotund and wore a very expensive looking brown suit. He was just there then gone. There was also an occurrence in the downstairs apartment.

We had some renters that had a niece my same age. I stayed with them one night and when I went over, I saw the apartment as it had been in the early 1900's , the carriage house and saw a woman hanging from the rafters. She was dressed in a long flowing night gown and had long wavy blonde hair. She was dead. That frightened me greatly.


I seem to remember that we procured the huntsman while it was winter, it was still cold outside. In the spring, my mom and dad went to Austin to see a close friend. When they left all hell broke loose.

Mom and Dad were already in Austin when Kathey picked me up from school. That night Kath and I went to Pizza Hut for dinner. Mom had left Kath some money so she didn't have to cook, she wasn't known for her cooking... Anyway, we came back home watched some tv and went to bed.

I woke up in the middle of the night needing to use the bathroom. When I opened my eyes I saw a very tall slender man standing at the end of my bed looking at a bed that was not supposed to be there. I quickly hid my head under the covers. I could hear Kathey yelling at someone.

I laid there for a while, but still having to use the toilet I got out of bed. I walked down the hall about ten steps to the bathroom. The door was closed. I opened the door and flipped on the light. I looked down at the huntsman and saw that his axe hand was up and he brought the axe about an inch from my toe. I screamed and ran to find Kathey.


I could hear her in the dining room yelling, "I KNOW YOU ARE HERE! GET OUT OR SHOW YOURSELF!!" She was hearing footsteps going back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room and back.
"Michelle! Go back to bed and stay there until I get you!"
"Kathey! I saw a man in our room!"
"Go Back!"
I ran back to my bed and hid under the covers. I could hear Kathey battling with the spirits, "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, GEEEETTT OOOUUUTT!!!!"

It all stopped.

Kathey got me out of the house and we slept in the Dairy Queen parking lot in her car and didn't go back to the house until morning.


Meanwhile in Austin, mom had a really bad feeling that something was happening at home. She told us later that she woke up around 2 am and was looking for the phone. Her friend re-arranged her house pretty often, so mom couldn't find the phone. She was searching for it when she tripped on some stairs. She said that she tried to get up but it felt like someone was holding her down. She said that it lasted for about 15-20 minutes. She tried and tried, but couldn't get up. Then she said that all of a sudden it was as if a weight had been lifted off of her. She found the phone and called, but we weren't home. They came home early the next morning.

We all entered the house at the same time. The only thing that had happened to show anything was amiss was that the head of the huntsman had blown up. We got it out of the house and mom left it on the porch.

We asked her to get rid of it. We all took turns smashing the whole thing to bits with dad's sledge hammer. She swept up the pieces and put them back in the neighbors garden.


We found out later that the neighbors and the previous owner hated each other immensely. The man who had the house built was a city official and his wife hung herself in the carriage house after the house was built, they indeed had a butler.

Mom had the house blessed and marked all of the doors and windows with crosses, blessing the house in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There have been no further hauntings at the Third street House.


We have had other things happen to us over the years which I will post about at a later date. This one took it out of me.

7 Comments:

Blogger P-Ratt said...

*shudder shudder* Geez, you have the creepy crawlies going up and down my back. And to have had this experience with your older sister present too. Wow...scary.

It's a parent's intuition a most wonderful blessing?

6:39 PM  
Blogger thordora said...

holy crap

bugger my comment about wanting to see ghosts.

again again! I'm one of those twits who loves scary stories, then sits in bed with the covers over my head....

7:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

It was a dang good thing Kathey was there. Who knows what would have happened. She made them go away, with God's help of course.


It ain't fun seeing ghosts.

9:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

I'm sorry Lillie. I always try to remember what my Pastor says, that they can't hurt you. Of course I also pray for God to take them away too. And he does.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

whoa.... that is well.. creepy! Girl.. thank GOD for Jesus! Hugs my friend..

7:28 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

you've talked to your pastor about them then? I am intested in hearing more of what he had to say. I think I will post about my experiences with Ghosts as well. Unless, I alrady have?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Fairbanks said...

WHOA! Very scary!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home