Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Voice Students! Yea!!!

Yesterday I had my first lesson with my new vocal student. She is 16 and homeschooled by her mom who was at the lesson as well. As soon as I opened the door, I saw that she was kind of hiding/standing behind her mom. When her mom stepped in I saw her shirt. It was black with white writing which stated "spear Brittney". I thought it was hilarious and broke the ice by telling her that I liked her shirt. She seemed to like that.

She has a slightly "goth" look to her, dyed black hair with a haircut that can be played down (like yesterday) or punked up in a mohawk. She's tall and slender with pale skin and rosey cheeks, such a beautiful young lady. Her mom was really nice and friendly. As i was getting to know her, I mentioned that I blog and her mom said that J (the daughter) likes to blog as well. Maybe that can be a starting point for common ground. It makes it easier with teens if they feel they can talk to you about stuff.


The lesson went well. She has a nice tone to her voice. She was exceedingly nervous yesterday which made it hard for her to sing. I get that. I finally got her to sing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and even though she was nervous, she did well and I complimented her on her tone which helped. Once she gets comfortable with me, I'm sure we will be able to get some real work going.

She had been taking voice for a year, but her teacher moved too far away to continue the lessons (lucky me!). She also plays piano and is learning guitar. She wants to major in music when she goes to college. So far, I'd say she's got a pretty good start.


Today I have a lady from our church coming for her lesson. I'm looking forward to that too. She has specific things she wants to work on, so that's good for me to know what they want out of the lessons, so I can better prepare.

5 Comments:

Blogger TamWill said...

Congrats on your new students and doing something you love! :O)

8:39 AM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks! Maybe this voice teaching will finally take off. I only need three more students and it will make a big difference in our finances. Any more than that would be awesome!!

9:17 AM  
Blogger garfer said...

Anyone that wears a 'Spear Britney' T shirt must be OK. If tou let word of your vocal tuition get round you could find yourself swamped. Double your hourly rate I say.

9:33 AM  
Blogger M said...

$30 bucks an hour is not enough??? I would charge more if I had the actual degree, but since I have experience (31 years of it), I don't think that carries as much weight. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen.

9:49 AM  
Blogger M said...

Well, I coach in 30 minute sessions so I don't actually make $30 bucks an hour, but I probably could. I do get results.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home