Thursday, April 13, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me

Happy Birthday to me. This is what I did on my birthday....Happy Birthday to me. This is what I eluded to on my previous birthday post.

As most of you know, if you are a regular reader, I have wanted a tattoo for 15-16 years. It has been a decision that I have struggled with for a long time. I made the decision after a long year of really thinking it over and over and over, etc. On April 8, 2006 I received my tattoo from the best artist ever~ Aaron Dale at Shaw's Tattoo in Houston, Texas!
Before Tattoo
BTW: this is me with my new glasses. I promised a pic a long time ago.

Anticipation: Me waiting for Aaron to get his station set-up and ready for the tattoo.
Anticipation. :-)
They had me sign my life away to make sure that I knew what I was doing and was of sound mind and body(not crazy and no sicknesses or pregnant.)

Just before I got the tattoo, the hubby asked me, are you sure you want this and I told him, "Other things get under my skin, why not some ink?" Aaron chuckled and agreed with a head bob.

The hubby and I went in for a consultation with Aaron in December. I wanted to meet him and talk to him about a design. I told him that I was thinking of either a phoenix or a butterfly. That I'd like to have both, but had not seen the two together in a design. He asked me what it meant to me and why I wanted the tattoo.

I told him about the phoenix AND the butterfly being symbols of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I told him that I didn't want the tattoo to be overtly Christian. I wanted people to look at it and ask questions. I also wanted the phoenix and butterfly to be facing each other in acknowledgement of each other. I love how she is looking at the butterfly and holding it in her wing.

This is what he came up with.
Close-up of outline

We decided to make the phoenix a female eventhough they are traditionally male, but since I'm a girl, I wanted the design to be feminine. The above picture is the stencil for placement on my right shoulder. No pain, so far~so good.

Then came the first line, not too bad. I think that I can handle this. The whole time during the process I was thinking his hands are nice and warm. Since I have generous hippage, his legs were resting on my hips, lightly. Again, he was very warm and it made me feel quite secure and comfortable. He was confident, sure and most importantly~fast! He had the whole thing outlined in no time flat!
The Actual outline Tattooed

Now in reality, the pain was killing me, or at least I thought I was going to die. I was trying really hard not to be a wimp about how much it really hurt. Keep in mind that I didn't take any pain meds before, nor was I inebriated. Totally sober and of sound mind and body. It was strange, the pain that was just about unbearable wasn't where the needles were, it was at the end of whatever nerve he was getting close to. I tried to make a little small talk, but I was quietly groaning for most of the tattoo. It took 2 hours for him start-to-finish. He took a couple of smoke breaks, but I wasn't going to ask for a break. It's better to get those things overwith as soon as possible. The hubby was trying to make conversation, but I told him that it was just like when the boy was born, "Don't touch me and don't expect me to talk back." Not trying to be mean, but I'm not a "touchy" person and when I am in pain, I don't want to be touched and unlike me at any other time, I am quiet. <----- Shocked, right??? Here's what it looked like when he was filling her in.
Colouring it in
Yep, that's my blood and a lot of ink.

I've been rubbing the tatt down with A&D ointment four times a day. Well really, the boy and the hubby have been doing this for me since I can't reach. The boy thinks that the tatt is really cool and beautiful. He had a lot of questions about the design, so I explained it all for him. It was just the reaction that I wanted from the tattoo. Here's is the mostly healed, final product:
Infinite Blogger
Click on the picture to get a better view. This was one of the better pics. I'll have the hubby take a better one after she is completely healed and not peeling anymore.

Seriously, if you want a tattoo and you are in the Houston area, go to Aaron Dale at Shaw's Tattoo on Westheimer in the Montrose area. It's a very clean shop with a great relaxed vibe and Aaron is the Man!!!! He's the only man I'll ever let touch my naked skin, besides the hubby, of course! ;-D

14 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

i was there, what can I say? Dinner was good afterwards...

7:24 AM  
Blogger TamWill said...

I really like the design and the LOVELY Colors you picked out. The red,gold, orange, lavendar and light green they look real nice. I think it is one of the prettiest tattoos I have seen. Congrats!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Michelle, that's a beautiful tatoo. Very feminine. I normally find tatoos quite dark and sometimes not so appealing. This one is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

10:39 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yep Dave. It was. :-)

Thanks Tam & Kyah. I remember when we first started visiting tattoo parlours back in the early 90's, I was turned off and a bit sickened by the designs that were posted. Most of them were deathly and too sexual for me. Even when we went to another shop in town, I got sick to my stomache by what I saw. There is a lot of trash out there, but when I talked to Aaron it was really different. He understood that I was getting this for me and no one else. I think that it was Aaron who really made the difference for me. He really has a lovely spirit. The other guys in the shop were great too. I just happened to find Aaron on the internet, by searching for Houston Tattoo Artists and I liked his work, so I sought him out. I'm so glad that I did. He's really quite amazing.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow now that's a tatoo.

8:40 AM  
Blogger garfer said...

I'd have to be drugged up before I let anyone loose with a tattoo needle. I have a low pain threshold (i.e I'm a coward and a wooze).

You'll be able to hang out at Hells Angels conventions and everything now?

2:16 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks y'all! I'll probably say this a million times, but Aaron is da Man!

Hey Ed! It's nice to have you visit! Long time; no see.

Can you see me Mrs. Wonder Bread going to a Hell's Angels convention on the back of Dave's scooter. I'd get beat up no matter HOW cool my tatt is. :-i Yikes!

2:47 PM  
Blogger pissoff said...

Way to go MHN.... Looks good. Oh, and Happy Birthday btw.

1:20 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks April! Nice to have you visit, love!!

7:32 AM  
Blogger M said...

My pleasure, Sir! It's easy to heap compliments when they are the truth!! See ya when I am ready for the next one. :-)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Mhn, I just wanted to let you know, I've seen pictures of you before, but these are by far my favourite and I had no idea just how very beautiful you are!

Your tat rocks and I may now be motivated enough to finish mine at last....I mean, it HAS been 10 years now...but if you could wait as long as you did, maybe I can still do it too....I am still afraid of being a momma and a respectable member of society and entering the parlours I've seen around our area...they look like bikers only signs should be posted in their windows or something.

12:43 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks Jen & Shifty!!!

Ro~
You are too kind. I'd like to post the pics that we had taken on the cruise. There are some really good ones of us in that grouping.

Julie!!!!!!!!! How did you find me???? I hope you come back and visit! Leave me an e-mail address so I can talk to you. I've missed you so much! We see David, but you...no see! Oh man, I've missed you. E-mail me: mdhn@earthlink.net.
I sure hope that you come back. Come see us! We still live in the same tiny ass house! You are always welcome!!!! Girl!!!!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

Rowan,
Save up your money, come down to see me and I'll take you to see Aaron. He's the best! Besides, it sounds like you might need a break.

1:11 PM  
Blogger M said...

Yep, it hurt. But the end result was soooo worth it.

You'll have to get a sport or racerback bra so the strap won't rub the tattoo while it's healing.

I think that the itching is the worst part. At least the pain stopped when he lifted the needles, the itching from healing has been going on for a week now.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home