Saturday, May 27, 2006

An Occurance of Thought

My mil is doing better. She is still in the hospital, but she is getting stronger. She says that her back feels much like it did the last time she had back problems; when the cancer came back and settled in her spine. I worry about this because she has stated that she doesn't want to fight the cancer again, if it should come back. I have willed her to live once and I am fully prepared to do it again, if need be. Please join me in prayer that it isn't cancer and that it's just the blasted diet she has been on that has thrown her body out of wack. She's lost 21 pounds in 4 weeks.



I had the realisation today that I have saved a life, literally. If I hadn't gone by my mil's house to check on her, even after phoning and getting no answer, she might have died. That thought frightens me to my very core. One day, we will be too late. And upon further thought, it would probably be Owen again who finds her for the last time. That thought also saddens me greatly. Makes me shudder is more accurate.

This will be the second time in my life that I have directly saved someone's life, just by doing what was required. It takes so little to do what is required and yet so many people won't do even that much. My husband called me a hero today. I don't think that I am. I just did what anyone else would do and what I hope someone would do for me, should I rate enough thought from anyone.

The first time that I saved a life was my son. He was eight days old and, unbeknownst to us, he had reflux, which is very common among newborns. So much so, that they don't consider it a defect or mallady, nine out of ten newborns have reflux (so the doctors told me.).

I was trying to breast feed the boy and he would never latch on. He finally got a good suck and he went limp and turned blue. I looked at him and almost panicked, rolled him over and rapped him on the back, turned him back over and he was still blue. I put my mouth over his nose and mouth and gave him a breath. Half way through that first breath, I remembered "SHALLOW". If you give an infant a full breath, you can make their tiny, little lungs explode, so you have to give them shallow breaths. I turned him back over and looked at him, he turned pink, then blue again. I gave him another shallow breath. He turned pink and something rolled out of his mouth. He was breathing on his own. This was the first day that I was at home alone with him. I thought that I had done something wrong. I called the nurses hotline at the hospital and they said to bring him in right away. A few days later and many tests run on him, they diagnosed him with Reflux. They prescribed a riggerous medicinal schedule and we were sent home and he eventually grew out of it. Though we did have bouts of projectile vomiting when he spat up.

That was THE MOST FRIGHTENING moment of my life, until I saw Linda lying on the floor Thursday morning. I told her today that I was so glad that we had a standing appointment on that day to go to her weigh in. I also told her how sorry I was that I didn't call her the night before, like I usually do after American Idol to chat about the contestants. She told me that it wasn't my fault, but that she was glad that I came in when I did. Me too.

3 Comments:

Blogger TamWill said...

My dear, you are an angel!

I will be in prayer that she is cancer free. It is a blessing that she has you to cheer her on and lift her up.

21 pounds in 4 weeks WOW!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

u did good!

12:51 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thanks for the support. :-)

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home