Saturday, January 21, 2006

Blissful Domesticity

I love Saturday mornings when I don't have anything to do. We get to sleep in until 7am or so and don't have to get dressed until we want to leave the house. Owen usually climbs into bed with us for about 30 minutes and we all(Dave, me, Owie & the cat) lay there and talk to each other about everything and nothing for a while. Dave will get up with Owen and make muffins from scratch. Owen calls them "Muffin-Muffins". I'm roused by the odor of wonderful slightly sweet baked goods in the house. Sometimes Dave makes coffee, sometimes he just heats up water to make tea. I tell you, there is not a much better way to start a day than that, in my opinion. :-)

Owen is the leader on Monday, so he brought the "Leader Bag" home with him on Thursday. Now, Owen just turned 5 two weeks ago. He told me that he wanted to do his "homework". To back track, the leader bag has things in it for him to do with the parents. There is a book for us to read to him and a craft for him to do that is in direct correlation to the book that is to be read.

So, he wants to do his homework. I'm watching Roo-Bear (K- the little baby I watch.) and am too busy to read at the moment. He tells me, "I just want to look at the book." I say ok; and darned if I know it, but the boy is reading a level 2 book, quite well, all by himself!! Then he took out his craft materials and started to make the craft all by himself as well. I tell you, the kid impresses me. :-) I think it might be time for a library card for the boy...

So anyway, I just wanted to share and brag on the boy for a bit. Thanks for the indulgence. :-)

btw: He got a watch the other day and is telling time beautifully on an anolog watch. I'm so proud for him!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Sounds great! I know when my daughter was 5 in her class they did the "Leader Bear". They got to be first in line to lead the class to the lunch room, to recess, to the bus line and all of that. They brought Leader Bear home and had to write in the Leader Bear notebook all the fun things that Leader Bear got to do at their house.

3:25 PM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Sounds like Owen is growing by leaps and bounds!

I like that close cozy feeling too, when we are piled in the bed:)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

feels good doesn't it?

but honey, you only get to sleep in till 7 am? I get mad if the kids wake me before 10am!~!!!!

10:53 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yep, being a parent has been the best decision i've made since marrying Dave. :-) Sappy, but true.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home