Monday, January 16, 2006

Finally, Our Cruise...

Sorry it has taken so long to get this post done, but here it is, FINALLY!!!

Our Ship
This is a picture of our ship at port in Progresso, Mexico. There was too much in the way at Galveston to take a picture in the port of Galveston.

Our Room
This was our room on the Carnival "Elation". It looks small, but really it was just right.

Elation Lobby
This was the main lobby of the Elation. They had it all decked out for Christmas. It was a beautiful ship. They had carnival and stained glass everywhere, very opulent.

Exploring Progresso
When we walked around Progresso we saw scooters everywhere, much to David's delight!!

Domino's Scooters
Here are some more scoots. Pizza anyone???

Open air market
This is an open air market which is typical of these countries. Oh! and MORE SCOOTERS! They were everywhere I tell you!

Beach at Progresso
I'm not sure this regal looking fellow was, but I think he was the founding father or someone important, ya think???

Dave & I
Dave & I at the beach before heading out for our tour of Dzibilchaltun (the Equinox Temples).

Pelican
This pelican was just "riding" the surf.

Me at the Top of a Sacrificial Temple
Here I am at the top of a sacrificial temple, where the Myan priests made sacrifices to their dieties. Look at how steep the steps are. Yep it took a bit to get up that high, but I was glad that I did it. Thank goodness Dave & I climbed stairs the whole time on the ship, we'd have never made it up to the top if we hadn't been used to taking all those stairs!! Too clever!

Spanish Chapel
A view from the top. What you are looking at is the chapel that the Conquistadors built when they came to "Christianize" the "heathens".

The Myan diety
This tablet of a Myan diety was cast down a hole by the Spaniards. The tablet wasn't the only thing they threw down there, can you ask, "Where did the high priest go???"

Limestone pool
This was carved out of the limestone where a natural spring fed the area. The peoples used it as their drinking and bathing water (if I remember that correctly.)

The Equinox Temple
The Equinox temple. On March 21st the sun will shine through the doorway of the temple straight through the doorway of the temple that used to be 1 mile down the promenade. Amazing! Our guide, Isaac, told me that their calendar was only of by a few seconds (1-3) compared to ours that is off by minutes, if not days...

The Promenade
This is the view from the temple of the promenade that was much wider in it's heyday and a mile long.

Isaac
This was our tour guide, Isaac. He was so knowledgable and smart. I really liked him and wished that I could wrap him up and take him home with us!!!

Indiana Neumann
Indiana Gnumann!!! Duh..., duh, duh, da-d-dah!!!!, Duh, d-duh, duh, Duh, d-duh, duh, duh!!!!!

Face on Temple
This is the "face" at the top of the doorway of the Equinox Temple.

Flower growing from temple wall
Some beautiful flowers growing from the building at the temple.


Well, here we go to Cozumel!!! There were three other cruise ships at Cozumel that day. The Grande Princess was the biggest ship by far and away! Just take a good look at her!
The Grand Princess
This was the Princess ship that left two days before we did out of Galveston. She's HUGE!

TV Screen on the Lido Deck
This is what the Grande Princess guests had to look at on their Lido deck. Holy Guacamole!

The Elation at Cozumel
Since hurricane Wilma destroyed the pier, we had to get on land by tender or ferry. Some folks didn't like that we had to do this, but for me it just added to the excitement of the trip! Gosh, I love traveling!!!!

Me soaked, but Happy!
This is a picture of me after Dave & I got caught out in the rain on the scooter we rented. I bought some souvies & got a really strong margarita in the bargain! Yeehaw!

Cozumel
Just look at that water. Georgeous! You can probably see if you click on the picture that there was alot of hurricane damage to Cozumel. I mentioned to our taxi driver that it looked like the construction was well on it's way & the vegitation was already coming back; and he told me, "Don't you worry about us, we'll be fine." I thought that that was a great attitude to have. Too bad some Americans don't have such attitudes... Anyway!

I swear that seeing such beautiful water was the highlight of the trip. Well, that and getting to ride on the back of a scooter with Dave & then getting caught in the rain and oh! Getting to sing Kareoke almost every night & performing for 900 or so people at the talent show too. That was fun! I totally recommend taking a Carnival cruise. They really ARE the "Fun Ships!"

13 Comments:

Blogger S.I.D. said...

The last time I seen a ship that big,it had Titanic written on the side.

Nice photos

5:42 PM  
Blogger M said...

Luckily for us, it didn't sink. Although on the way back to Texas we did hit 8 foot swells. Friday was the only day that I needed to take any dramamine.

They said that ours was the best cruise they had had in a while. The cruise before was so bad that there were tables, food and vomit all over the Lido deck and most of the passengers AND crew were sick. Sure am glad ours was nice. :-D

8:57 PM  
Blogger David said...

Those are beautiful pictures! Looks like ya'll had a wonderful time.

6:13 AM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Really enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing. I wish our water in Galveston looked like the water in Cozumel!
Bon Voyage :)

7:59 AM  
Blogger M said...

I'd go again in a heartbeat!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger garfer said...

Us lot are sitting watching the rain and you swan off on a Carribean cruise ship.

You have no consideration for the misfortunes of others.

The Myans were ace. Shame they kept sacrificing each other.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You inconsiderate git you mhn. It's been like 28 days straight of rain here and you show me that.

Very nice btw.

PO

9:31 PM  
Blogger M said...

Soz April! I'd love to have the rain. Yesterday was the first rain we've had in almost 2-3 months. We are in a burn ban down here and everything is really dry. Not so good for farming country.

Thanks Jen. make ya want to go, eh???

8:23 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

I LOVE the Mayans and Mexico, honeymooned there. I just love the powder sand beaches too!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Fantastic pics, and glad you had such a great time. Oh, and hi there! I seeeeee yoou... LOL!

6:16 AM  
Blogger M said...

The worst part about getting caught in the rain was the aftermath of the sneakers, but the next day we found the washing machines so all was good! :-)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Beautiful photos, I'm so glad you had a good time.

I was so lucky to get to go on a cruise a few years ago with my best friend and we had a ball. Too bad I don't think I'll EVER get my hubby to go on one, though.

You're right about the damage to Cozumel. I was shocked, I didn't know they'd gotten so much hurricane damage. A shot I took from the top deck of our ship showing that beautiful water is one of my favorite pics from that entire trip...

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sniffy said...

Tell you what, if we had an Equinox Temple in Britain, you'd never see the intended effect of the sun streaming through the windows because you could guarantee that it'd be pissing it down.

Great pics, btw. It looks like you had a fab time.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home