Tuesday, December 26, 2006

And a Good Time Was Had By All

Well, this year we had a very different Christmas from our norm. Usually we get together with the hubby's family and there is a lot of rushing here and there to get things done, but this year we were all on our own, which turned out to be a nice change. The hubby and the boy made muffin-muffins for breakfast and we started our day.

We went to church as a family on Sunday morning and instead of us sitting separately (because of choir usually singing), we sat together. It's been so long since we'd done that. I had forgotten how nice it was sitting with my husband and son. That aftern oon, I pushed through some laundry and the hubby prepared the turkey and dressing. Then we all sang 'Happy Birthday' to Papa over the phone. :-)

Sunday night choir was singing at the Candlelight Service, but we only had 3 songs, instead of 7-8, and I was able to join hubby and the boy for communion and the rest of the service.

There were quite a few people there that I had not seen for a few years, mostly my old daycare group. They have a grown into their adult bodies and they are all in their 20's. Man, I feel old. :-)

When we got home the hubby fed us the Turkey & Dressing he had been cooking all day. The boy picked out the prettiest of the cookies I had made for Santa and I told him that before I went to bed I would put out a glass of milk for him. We finished our dinner and we put the boy to bed and said our prayers. From the morning until we went to bed Christmas Eve was a joy filled day.

On Christmas Day the boy came into our bed around 6:45am. He didn't know if Santa had been here yet and didn't want to jinx his coming by being awake. We all laid under the electric blanket until 7am. Then we couldn't wait any longer!! We led the boy into the living room and he saw the little pile of presents. I had noticed on the dinning table that Santa had left a 'Thank You' note for the boy on the table and "he" had eaten the cookies and milk!

The boy was a bit nervous about getting what he wanted for Christmas this year. He thought that because we were broke that he wouldn't get anything for Christmas, so were we. But we lucked out and the boy only wanted 4 things: 2 Chevron cars, the movie Cars and a Remote Control car. We got him one of the Chevron cars he wanted(couldn't find the other one) and the movie Cars and How to Eat Fried Worms, plus a couple of other things that we found over this past year. The hubby and I got movies for each other. All in all, it was a really nice Christmas.

We went to my folks house and celebrated Christmas with my family. That was nice too and we all exchanged gifts. Mom & Dad got a picture of the boy with his name and the year on it so Mom could remember who he is(she's got alzheimers). My sisters received prayer journals and earings that I made for them and a small pic of the boy. We had Christmas dinner at my mother's house for the first time in about 17 years. It was really wonderful.

We still missed having Christmas with the hubby's family, but it could not be helped and we ended up making new memories for the boy.

Here's to another happy memory and to a lifetime of many more. Blessings to you and yours for the Shorts.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good one.

I overdosed on roast goose.

6:05 PM  
Blogger M said...

Haha! Dave would have loved to have overdosed on roast goose!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good xmas. Ours was fab. I'll no doubt post about it soon, but it really was fantastic!

9:26 AM  
Blogger TamWill said...

Sounds like you had a very blessed Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Was Dave's Turkey and Dressing yummy?

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home