Monday, January 30, 2006

Pride And Prejudice

Is there any man in all of Literature as romantic as Mr. Darcy???

That is what came to my mind as I sat at the dinner table in Chili's across from my beautiful husband. So, feeling a bit giddy after FINALLY getting to see Pride and Prejudice, I said it out loud with my best English accent.

The hubby just looked at me and grinned, knowing that he could not have given me a better aphrodisiac than sitting in a dark theatre and watching one of the girliest chick flicks known to mankind.

The whole film was beautiful and wonderfully realized, complete from my own imagings while reading the book, to the screen. The actors selected to play the characters were superb, in my opinion. The music moved me to increasing heart beats and tears, particularly "Darcy's Letter", "Your Hands Are Cold" and "Mrs. Darcy".

This movie takes me back to one of my all-time favourite movies and soundtracks, "Out of Africa". This was the first real "grown-up" movie that I ever saw. I was 14 or 15 when I went to see "Out of Africa". I was completely enchanted by the world of that era and still am. Eventhough women didn't have the rights they do now, the romanticism of that long ago time speaks to the part of me that just wants to be taken care of by my husband.

For me, David IS my Mr. Darcy. I see in him the protectiveness, love, passion and guarded nature that Mr. Darcy seems to have in abundance. It is such an exquisit feeling to see in literature or art a part of your life in so minute detail, so that you can look at the beauty of it and realise that you are the luckiest, most blesssed person in all of Gods' creation.

I never really thought of myself as a romatic soul. I always thought that I was a realist with no time or room for silly romantic notions of the world. It can be a dark ugly place, where you must always be on your guard against the foe. Now I am able to see the beauty of human nature and the world as well, and it can be specticle to behold, if one only takes the time to look.

I think that I will go back and re-read all of Jane Austen's works and keep a hold of the beauty in this world and try not to cling to the reality with such a tight grip. It is a pleasing thing to let your day-to-day grind melt away into dreamland once in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home