Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Jobs, Cars, Soccer and Life, in General...

It has been absolutely forever since I've had a chance to post. Not that I haven't wanted to, mind you, but I've either been too tired or just flat out haven't had the time.

So here we go.

In the later part of January, I started working outside of the home after 6.5 years of being at home with the boy. It has been quite an adjustment. I miss having time to do some of the things that I used to, but I enjoy the feeling of not having to pick which bill not to pay so that we can still eat. I've finally gotten to the point where we can take the toll road to get the boy to school and me to work. Before, it took us and hour and a half to get home every night. Now we have cut that time in half! Sweet!

When I first started working we were still driving my little Ford Focus station wagon. You know, that car just hasn't been the same since I had that wreck last spring. So we did the most natural thing we could. We bought a new to us used car---- 2001 Volkswagen Golf 1.8 T with 50k miles. Looked good, really cute in fact. It was navy blue with 4 doors a hatchback and a sun roof! Man was it fun to drive... Until it rained.......

I started driving the Golf to work the week that we had a hellacious rainstorm. I'm cruisin' on down the road and nothing. The engine light came on and the darn thing stopped in the middle of the road and rain. It was 5:15pm. My phone was dead and so was my NEW CAR.

I asked a man if I could use his phone. We were at a stop light and traffic was building up. He was going to help me push the car off to the side. I decided to try it and it started. Whew! I'm good to go. I turn the car to go pick up the boy from Spring Break child care & it dies three times before I get to the next intersection. I decided to park it in the nearest parking lot.

There was another nice man who came out of the restaurant where I parked the car. "Can I use your phone please? Mine is dead and my car keeps dying on me.". He stayed with me for over an hour and let me use his phone. I had to call the hubby to pick up the boy. Good thing we didn't trade in the old car, eh??? I called the dealer where we bought the car and they were almost no help. It took 6 different phone calls to get to the correct car rental place. It was 5:50pm and the car rental place closed at 6pm. Shit, shit, SHIT!

Meanwhile, there is this lovely man who is letting me use his phone. I'm trying my very best not to go berserk! The car rental place was like, "We can't come get you because I'm the only one in the shop." HELLO! Your motto is "We'll pick you UP!". Good Grief! Also, we are trying to pay our credit cards off, so we don't have them any more. Well, I can't rent a car to you unless you have a credit card or two bills. "I don't carry my bills with me!" "I understand ma'am, but I have to follow procedure." Mind you this bull crap is ticking away at my time to get there BEFORE they close! The gentleman whose phone I was using even offered to secure the rental with HIS credit card and we would pay cash at the end. Nope, no go. Can't do that ma'am. Shit! I tell the guy, I'm going to call my husband, he'll bring what we need, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!" The gentleman who was with me the entire time drove me down to the car rental place.

While we were going down the road, he and I talked cars and kids. He had just moved to the metropolis from the next fair state over. I thanked him profusely and apologized for monopolizing his time. He said that he would hope that someone would do the same for his wife; who was still with his kids the next state over. As we were talking , he told me he had three children and that his youngest was named the same as mine. God truly does working in mysterious ways...

He got me to the car rental place and the hubby and the boy had not quite gotten there yet with all of the neccesary documents. They requested referrences and actually called them. Whoda thunk it? We finally got the rental and had it for a week. Since we had reliable transportation, we took it to see the hubbys' parents. It was a good, but fast trip.

When we got back to work we got the VW back. We went to dinner and took a little ride to test out the car. Just as we were getting ready to turn on to our street..................... The freaking engine light came on AGAIN!

"Hubby, empty out the car. We are taking this thing back tonight and I'm not taking NO for an answer." I was highly insensed,to say the absolutely least. We packed up and went to the dealer.

Now when I am happy, I'm quite the chatty gal with a light and airy walk. When I am homicidally angry, I'm quiet and slightly menacing with a hard, slow steady walk. I'm sure that the look on my face could have spoken volumes. Which is probably why the first guy to catch my eye tried to walk away. I very calmly, but firmly said, "Sir." He looked at me again and I told him, "We bought our car from you all and we have had it in the shop more than it has been in our driveway. I'm going to make this very simple for you. We are giving you back the car and the keys and you are NOT going to send us a bill."

Indeed, they looked at the service record on the car and took it back, with no problems. We found out a few days ago that they put that lemon back on the lot. A person who was looking at the car found our number in the car, probably something we had forgotten, and gave the hubby a call. He told them that there was something very wrong with the car and not to buy it. I sure hope that they took his advice.

The rest of the week I drove the Focus with minimal incident, but the car was tired. Finally, on that Saturday, it died again. I didn't freak this time, because we were all together. I just wanted to go home. The hubby said that he wanted to go look at the Hyundai Santa Fe's again. Well, two hours later I drove of the lot with MY brand spankin' new 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. I love this car! We still have the Focus for rainy days for the hubby. He's cool with it.

This season is the boy's and my third season of soccer. I'm still his coach, but this season I was also his Division Co-ordinator. The season has been going pretty well. The kids are really great and the parents are too. I can really tell the difference in their abilities this season. My team kicks Ball!

:-( The boy has decided that in the fall he wants to be a Tiger Scout instead of play soccer. I think he's tired of mom being his coach. Frankly, I think I could use a break from it too. Maybe I could keep time or call out substitution...

Choir has been going busy too AND I'm on the call committee to find a replacement for our retired minister of music, plus working full time and trying to still be the perfect wifey. You might ask, "How's that workin' for ya???" Not so great. The house is a wreck, we eat out WAY too often and the laundry is backin' up like a bad sewer line.

Geeze! If I could afford it we'd have a maid. Then again, I don't want anybody to see our messy digs. Of course, just when I think our house is the filthiest pig-sty on Earth, I see someone who is showing off their even messier house on TV no less, for millions to see. Have they no SHAME!?

Well, back in August I got pneumonia somehow. Just as my doctor predicted, I have been sick much more since. I have had more sore throats and ear troubles since then than I have had in my entire 16 year marriage. It seems like everytime I think I'm going to get well, something else comes up to bite me in the booty. I'm so tired all the time and the hubby keeps after me to rest, but who has the time??? I'm hoping that after May is over, I'll at least get to sleep till 7:30 or 8am on Saturday mornings again. I miss my naps. And to think, as a child, I NEVER took naps. Now I can't seem to get enough sleep.

The hubby is still in school and is doing quite well. Work on the other hand, not so well, so if you pray, please pray for his work situation to get better. Thanks.

I thank God that mine seems to be going ok. I love what I am doing and the people I work with. I'm hoping that an offer for permanent employment will be made in the next few months, meanwhile I'm learning all that I can cram into my head about this new-to-me industry and helping out in any way I can while maintaining a pleasant and productive attitude. By the way: It can be done...I'm doing it. You know, pleasant AND productive. It's all a mind set.

So this is my life as I know it. Sorry that it has taken so long for me to catch you up and Thank You for continuing to check on me. I love you all and hope to be a regular in the blogosphere again.

Much love and affection to you all!!! m.


Blogger TamWill said...

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying your job and have such a positive outlook. I will keep your husband and his job situation in my prayers.

Congratulations on the New Santa Fe, my Aunt has one of those and they do seem very nice. I just bought me a Brand new Toyota Tundra 4 door truck and I am so lovin' it!

I don't know how you work and coach and do choir. I think you are truly blessed and I am glad that the Lord sent an angel to help you. Luv ya gurl!

11:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

Whoo Hoo! That's right, those Texas girls LOVE them TRUCKS!;-)

I'm dead-dog tired. I'll be glad when choir is over. I need the break. Actually, the group as a whole needs a break. It's comin' pretty soon.

8:59 PM  
Blogger garfer said...

Yes, yes... that's all very good but HAVE YOU BOUGHT DAVE A NEW SCOOTER YET?

Soccer is the way to go. They get paid milions over here for kicking a ball about for 90 minutes on a Saturday.

Nice work, if you can get it.

11:36 AM  
Blogger evercurious said...

Man you are so busy. Car troubles can suck the life out of the best people. I'm glad you won't have to worry about that any time soon. I think the Houston traffic could possibly make it worse. Oh well. Just hik Summer is coming and you might get a chance to relax.

7:43 AM  
Blogger M said...

Nope Garfer. No scoot! Gotopaythebills.

Relax? What's that??? ;-)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

hey M, you posted on my must be a sign. But, well, that was two months ago eh? (No pressure, I'm pretty bad too).

Sorry to hear about all the car troubles, that sucks.

take care M. thinking of you!

6:45 PM  
Blogger M said...

Hey Kyah! Every time we go to Katz's I think of you. :-)

Car troubles are no more now that we have the Santa Fe. I'm digging' it!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Dad said...

Amazing how much your life still mirrors mine (in the good ways)!

Hi again, it's Aas from long ago, now blogging elsewhere.

I'm sure you'll recognize your comments on my current blog, I loaded most of the old one into it.

Hope all is well with the family and I can't wait to hear about your 20th since mine is approaching.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home